Monday, February 4, 2008

It is so hot and humid you can barely take a breath. The clothes on the line don't dry and then it starts raining again anyway. They talk of flooding but there doesn't seem to be that much rain - you never know though.

I realised recently that I have been misusing a word for most of my life. It is one of those words that seems to make sense in the way I have been using it - and after speaking to friends about it they all thought the same and had used it that way too. The word is 'balmy' which I had used to describe a humid day. I found out that it means "mild and refreshing, soft, soothing" - nothing like this hot, oppressive and humid weather. It has made me paranoid about the possible misuse of other words and phrases. Like a misheard lyric... only more embarrassing due to its indicator of educational standards. Particularly when surrounded by academics in my work. Perhaps worse because I am quite judgemental about the incorrect use of certain words - like advice/advise. I have never used a dictionary this much in my life!! Not such a bad thing to check youself once in a while, I think.

No comments: