Monday, February 4, 2008

I am trying to lose some weight after Christmas. I got really motivated and managed to lose almost 10kilos last year but a lot of it has crept back on. I realise that my problem is that I largely define myself and the experience of enjoyment by food. A good night is a good meal and wine. A relaxing day is a nice lunch - exercise is also a big part of things but I am largely motivated by enjoyment of a meal shared.

Making things worse is the weather. Not the heat but the rain. I immediately go into some sort of winter-inspired cooking frenzy where I crave soups and casseroles. I put the air conditioning on because it is so hot and suddenly it is like a cool winter day. Hopeless!!

It is Monday so time to start again! Let's see how long I stay disciplined for this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how's discipline? I sinned with marzipan-eggs ... they should not be sold in a supermarket for 60 cents with nougat-filling, or ananas, or triffel - it's a shame, exploiting weakness, making middle-aged men helpless, ALDI (the name of the chain) is the devil.

Anonymous said...

Just saw that you are listening to a man named Pyke. Is that a relative to Nathaniel Pyke of Habakkuk-fame? G.N. Pyke had a son, young Josh could be his grandson. I just stumbled over the name, I think it is un-common and there are not too much of this name, but I may be wrong.
Seems I am in blabbing-mood, sorry.

by-lamplight said...

Hmmm... discipline is not so great!! I have little will-power at the moment. I laughed at your comment about ALDI, they are all the same. They have their displays of precious things, wrapped beautifully and glittering at the register...how can one resist?? To make things harder, to walk home, I have to walk past a master pastry chef's shop. She is always cooking the most delicious cakes so there is always a smell of butter and vanilla wafting on the breeze to tempt you in. I am powerless against her charms - especially her lemon cake. There are many little demons here it seems!

I am managing a gradual move towards a more disciplined outlook on my weight. Step by step....

I am not sure about the background of Josh Pyke, he is Australian but I don't know a lot about his heritage. You can watch the clip of one of my faves at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZySevkkHZUU