Saturday, December 1, 2007

Catching up on time


It has been quite a while since I have posted.. so much has happened, mostly all good too! I have just had a week at the beach after a few frantic weeks at work where I was putting in 13 and longer hours a day - I was pretty exhausted by the end of last week but also moving along a such a pace that it took a bit to slow down.

I have also decided to apply for a new job at the Uni - similar role but just one (as opposed to the two jobs I am doing at the moment). It would be a busy job but interesting and with only one staff member to supervise. I am lucky with my staff in my current jobs, they work hard and are good people. It is just tiring to manage 12 people with so many different needs when my own roles are so demanding. I was approached to apply for the job but my initial confidence in getting the job have decreased with time and after a week without being in contact with the person who would be my new boss, am concerned that I haven't heard anything about an interview. Anyway.. if it is the right job for me it will be fine and if I don't get it something else will come along in time.

Also, on a much brighter note, I got the results back from my last doctor's appointment and she has given me the all clear - no abnormal cells, and no HPV either! I had convinced myself that I would have a strain of it but it seems it was all just my body creating some bad cells. I am not sure whether this is more of a concern but at least I don't have a higher likelihood of cervical cancer. I need to focus on maintaining a strong immune system now - and managing stress!! I am so thankful for the results and even for the whole experience. It is easy to say that from a healthy position after being given the all clear but it has given me a lot to think about and has helped me think more deeply about my health and also to connect more to the distinctly female aspects of myself. I have still got some small pains and my cycle has changed a bit but I am certainly more attuned to my body as a result of all of this.

So, that was the week before last! Last week was wonderful - a week at the beach with boy and nothing at all to do. I spent days lying on the beach reading and swimming in the ocean. It was so healing being in the sea - the waves felt like they were literally washing away the pain and confusion of the past few months. Lying in the sun, I absorbed the warmth and enjoyed the sense of being completely relaxed. I finished Kahled Hosseini's new book "A Thousand Splendid Suns", which was moving and beautiful. I have started a new book and hope to maintain the momentum of the holiday.

We ate beautiful fresh seafood and went for long walks on the beach. I slept so soundly and am completely rested now. We were lucky to stay in a house with ocean views, there is nothing like the smell of the sea. We could hear the waves crashing and went to sleep each night with the sounds of the sea.

Half way through the holiday, boy proposed to me. We have spoken about getting married as a way to formalise our relationship and while he has had some reservations about the institution in its traditional sense, we have decided to celebrate what we love about each other and will honour our relationship together through marriage. Yay!!!! It is lovely to share this formal commitment together.

Well, that is about it for now. I have enjoyed not having the net around. While it is a great thing, it sucks time like nothing else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Congratulations! I hope you will have a reallyreally good time!