Saturday, August 11, 2007

Words on the street


Every so often, I walk home from work and revel in the chance to clear my mind and shift down a gear or two before getting home. Now that the days are getting longer again, I will start walking home more. On my walk, I pass a section of the path outside a banking building where someone has engraved 'Where is the War on Greed' into wet cement. I love seeing this, we had so much of the supposed 'war on terror' shoved down our gullets for so long.



Walking home gives me some time to slow down the mind after what has invariably been a madly busy day. I often find it difficult to come home after work and shift straight into home mode. I find myself approaching things as I do at work and, if it has been a particularly bad day, can get a bit cranky about things not being done properly or too slowly. It is a crazy thing to think because my aim is always to slow down, I guess sometimes it takes a bit of time to get to slow.


It is great to feel some energy again. I am finally feeling relatively normal again. I have been trying to not be so introverted and have been getting out to see friends and have been to a few concerts recently which has been fantastic. So many bands are touring at the moment, there always seems to be something on. I feel happier again and importantly, lighter in spirit. I really enjoyed walking home yesterday along the river and got up early today to take the dog for a long morning walk. We did a huge spring clean which has been welling in me for a long time for me. There is so much dust in the house and now that the hairy one has started to shed her winter coat, there is dog hair blowing through the house like tumbleweeds. For what seems like the first time in ages, we have the day at home together tomorrow, doing nothing. I am really looking forward to a day of real rest - perhaps we will get into the garden and get things ready for Spring or maybe just spend the day reading the papers and our books. Whatever it is, I dont mind, it will just be nice to hang out with the boy in this perfect weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a joy to see you feeling better and becoming stronger. I wish to you a fine weekend.

A war on greed would be an unsuccessful thing I fear. But I like that someone had the idea to ask!

Unknown said...

You must work very close to me. I wrote about the same image!

http://godssamurai.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/greed/