Saturday, October 6, 2007

Time is flying so quickly at the moment - already it is October! Work continues to get crazier and crazier but today I have stopped caring because it is the weekend and too beautiful a day to waste it worrying about stuff that does not matter.

I went to see a comedian from Yorkshire last night with some friends. We got rather drunk and had a good night all round. The show was not stand up but rather a commentary on a man's life - a particular man who spent his time cataloguing compilation tapes that people had put together. It was a beautiful show and it left me thinking about a lot of things.

Today, boy is playing cricket so I decided it was time to get back on the bike! I finally got a new pump for the tyres which was sadly quite an exciting purchase. It means that I dont have to start every trip with a visit to a service station to fill up the tyres and it feels like I will have more freedom somehow. Anyway, I rode into the city to out botanic gardens. It was so beautiful along the river. It has been a hot day but there was a lovely breeze - salty air and fresh smells. I stopped in the gardens and had a mineral water and then just lay on the grass for about half an hour. I hadn't thought to bring a book so just watched the Queen Palms moving gently overhead in the breeze. I haven't felt this relaxed in ages. While I quickly realised how much I have lost in terms of fitness, it was a great way to work off the stress. There is nothing like the pain in the thighs and the full use of the lungs to make you feel alive.

It is still hot now. I have had a shower and it is close to that summer experience of feeling damp straight away. it is not humid but it looks like a storm is brewing so it will soon be a balmy night! I am making chilli con carne for dinner with tortillas and corn on the cob. I love this meal, as does boy. England are playing Australia in the rugby tonight and although I wouldnt normally watch football I think we probably will this evening. Chilli, a few Coronas and the football. Seems to fit together well!

No comments: