Friday, January 16, 2009

Yesterday's All Tomorrow's Parties

After turning 33 but a day or so ago, I celebrated with boy and my friend by going to ATP which was held in our botanic gardens. I am still croaking and coughing and have to say that the idea of doing anything other than lying around in bed was pretty horrid yesterday but, we had tickets and there was to be Nick Cave so I dusted myself off and went along. It was a brilliant day - the sort of festival that reminds you how great it is to be among like minded people listening to some fantastic music. We got there for James Blood Ulmer, a cool blues singer, grinding through a few songs and strumming away with his guitar - sensational. The sun was out, there was a cool breeze from the river and we were organised enough to have taken a blanket to relax on. Another round of beers and the Necks. Their set was profoundly moving, as boy mentioned, they often just work their way through one improv style song, which is just what they did. It was spine tingling and was reminiscent of the soundtracks they have done for some films that are equally as moving/disturbing.

The rest of the day was great, we sat around in the sun listening to music, drinking beers and eating satays. The best part was of course Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds who as boy put it, looked like a demented preacher. He is such a great performer, it has been too too long. I was thrilled to hear most of my faves played too, we were spoilt with the Mercy Seat, the Ship Song and Papa Wont Leave you (Henry) along with many others. Luckily I decided to take today off so I didn't start to have my granny freakout as the night drew to a close where I normally start calculating how much sleep I will be able to get before having to get up for work - the perfect recipe for insomnia!

The birthday celebs continue tonight with a bunch of friends going to one of our great local restaurants. Then tomorrow we have Bon Iver. Quite the musical month, I think it will be time to retreat a bit again after January!

No comments: