Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Time Traveler's Wife


I heard that Eric Bana is set to play the part of Henry in the film adaptation of 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger. This was a truly wonderful book but, while Eric Bana is a talented actor, I am having trouble seeing him in this role. I am so thankful to a friend for lending me this unsuspecting book, I had it for a while before I had a chance to properly devote myself to it. When I started, I was completely captivated. The book has been lent continually around the office and groups of friends and has proven to be a topic of energetic discussion. It was one of those books that will stay with me forever, such a compelling and thoughtfully crafted story.
In simplistic terms, the story is about Henry and his wife Clare. Henry suffers from a genetic disorder called Chrono-Impairment that causes him to time-travel. He cannot control when it will happen or where he will end up but it appears that his travelling is linked to stress and anxiety so he runs compulsively. He seems to travel to places and times which are linked to his memories (those which he has had or will have). I didn't expect to like this book - no summary could elicit the beauty of the story. Just read it...

No comments: